Terms of Service - Acceptable Use - Billing Policy
"Altaire", as identified throughout these policies, is Altaire Enterprises, Inc. Altaire is incorporated under the laws in the state of South Dakota. "Mato" or "Mato.com" is the public network service of Altaire Enterprises, Inc.
Terms of Service
2. These terms and conditions are subject to change without prior notice. The most current copy is always available on-line through our web pages. These policies are automatically emailed to your emailbox on our system when your account is created. We will also mail you a hard copy through the postal system when your account is intitially opened. Continued use of your account after a new policy has been posted on the web page constitutes acceptance on your part. It is your responsibility to check the policies on a regular basis.
3. Altaire makes no warranties of any kind, expressed or implied. Altaire takes no responsibility for any damages suffered by you including, but not limited to, loss of data, incorrect data, nondeliveries, misdeliveries, or service interruptions. Much of this service, and the Internet itself, is not in our control. The very strength of the Internet is that it is an aggregation of many different technologies and organizations. The Internet, and this service, relies on many different telephone companies, software programs, and computer systems all over the world. Therefore, it is impossible, or at least unrealistic, for us to promise that all parts of the Internet will work at all times. This includes your phone lines, our phone lines, and those all over the world. We will do every thing in our power to keep our systems working, that is what we can and will do. Service may be temporarily limited or suspended due to system capacity limitations, system repairs, or modifications.
6. Altaire is not responsible for any telephone charges you may incur by setting your computer to dial numbers that are not in your local calling area. Please check with your phone company to make sure that the number you use is a local call and NOT a toll call. We do not have control of you or those who configure your computer, nor can we control what your telephone company charges you for.
7. We reserve the right to terminate accounts if payments are not made in accordance with the current billing requirements (see billing policy). You are accountable for any fees incurred up to the date of account termination. There will be an up-front $25 connection fee to re-open your account.
9. You may cancel your account at any time with prior written or electronic (email) notice to Altaire. You are responsible for any fees incurred up to the date of service termination. Altaire will reimburse you for unused access fees on a pro-rated basis.
10. We WILL do everything in our power to make your experience with us as pleasant as possible, but it is imperative that you understand we are not responsible for problems that you may encounter with your computer or software. If your software is not working properly, or there is some issue with it's configuration, we cannot, and will not take responsibility for the problem. Your membership fees for our service do not include us handling such issues, they are for maintenance and upgrade of the systems that you will use to gain access to the Internet with your computer. Your computer is your responsibility, not ours. We make this statement to avoid any expectations you may have of us providing you with support when you experience problems that are not related to our systems. Rather than promising you 24 hour telephone support for any problem you have, we would rather be honest, and tell you many problems simply cannot be resolved effectively over the phone or via email. Having said all that, we will help wherever, and whenever we can via email, telephone, or on-site consultation charged at our regular rates for such services. Email is not charged at all, but issues we determine to be unrelated to our systems will have a lower priority. If you are not sure where the problem lies, don't be afraid to ask. Even with a lower priority, we will try to answer every email, and if we cannot help you without on-site support we will make that clear to you also.
Acceptable Use Policy
1. Transmission of any material in violation of State, Federal, or International regulation is strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening material, obscene material, or materials protected by trade secrets. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Altaire from any damages to you or other parties resulting from your use of this service. Altaire reserves the right to revoke your access or web space at our discretion.
Regarding web publishing on our servers (some of this is covered above, but just to make it clear);
No obscene or pornographic materials of any kind including links to such materials will be allowed on our servers. No threatening or slanderous material. No material deemed by Altaire to be degrading to our network and/or members. You are not permitted to distribute material promoting hatred against individuals or groups, or any content which may be deemed to be illegal according to the laws of the United States or State of South Dakota. NO distribution of copyrighted materials.
2. There are some restrictions on our non-dedicated (pooled) accounts as follows: Altaire requests you give consideration to other members by limiting your time on-line to about two hours during "peak" times. "Peak" times are defined as 4:00pm to 11:00pm evenings, and anytime the system is in a high use state (snow days, weekends, etc.). Please allow an hour before dialing back in. Please do not configure your computer to stay connected at all times, even when no one is using it. The system will not allow connection of more than one computer, using the same ID, to our systems at one time. We reserve the right to disconnect connections at any time, and accounts connected in excess of four continuous hours are subject to disconnect. We have various dedicated line accounts for those who desire continuous connection to our systems, and the Internet. Continued blatent disregard of this connection limitation policy may result in termination of your account. Although we allow an "unlimited" account to use any amount of time in a given month without extra charges, it is not economically possible for us to allow abuse of the system. We will do our part by keeping the ratio of members to modems as low as possible at our current pricing, and together we will keep the system available for everyone to use at all times. We like this honor system which allows for long off peak connections, but still keeps our system available without switching to 100% measured service.
3. Disk storage is limited per user. The system is configured to reject additional storage requests if you exceed your limit, this may show up as an inabilty to receive your email, if you configure your mail program to "leave mail on the server", and you exceed your limit. Large attachments emailed to you may also cause this. The email system should not be used as a large file transfer agent, and it is configured to reject messages over 5MB in size. Additional storage is available (see Prices). Altaire will not be responsible for data stored on our disks, it is your responsibility to keep backups of your important data on your own system(s). We do have an advanced system redundancy, keep backups, and have every intention of preserving your data, but unexpected loss of data can happen.
4. Altaire is dedicated to preserving a secure system. Intentional disregard for security systems may result in termination of your account. Attempts to "hack" the system are logged, and will result in termination of your account. Please be concerned about to whom you give your password, as you will be held partly accountable for their actions.
5. Unsolicited Commercial Email ("Spam") is strictly prohibited from, or through,
(Altaire will not accept subscribers under 18 years of age.
A parent or guardian must be responsible for all charges, and use of the account.)
Limited, Unlimited or Dedicated Access
Web Hosting, Domain Name Carriage, etc.
2. You will be billed a connection fee as it applies, and your monthly subscription fee for the current month. Accounts will be always be pro-rated to next bill date before a full charge is applied for Quarterly, Semi-Annual or Annual memberships. We generate bills on the 4th of any given month. Bills are emailed to you unless paper billing is requested. A $1 surcharge will be added to monthly accounts requesting paper bills.
3. Bills are emailed by the 10th of each month for membership fee(s) of the current month. It is our goal to have bills out by the 6th of the month. All individual accounts are "due on receipt" payment terms.
4. Changes to the billing increment (month, quarter, semi-annual, or annual), billing type (Limited or Unlimited), or account status (Active or Inactive) will always take place at the next bill date (4th), and there will be a $5.00 charge for these changes. All account status change requests must be in writing; emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Altaire Enterprises at the address provided below.
5. Accounts not paid in full prior to the next monthly billing cycle are subject to deactivation. Accounts incurring more than two deactivations in a calendar year, will be subject to paying six months of access in advance prior to re-activation. Accounts not paid in full 30 days after being deactivated are subject to being removed from the system. Account removal will be taken on a case by case basis to allow for vacations, and like circumstances, if you know you will be away for an extended period, please pay quarterly to avoid surcharges and hassles for everyone. A re-activation fee of $25.00 will apply to any account which is removed for non-payment. Accounts removed for non-payment will be sent to collections. If an account is sent to collections, the account holder will be responsible for paying fees incurred by the collection agency before the account can be activated again (these are fees in addition to the collected amount).
7. In the event of cancellation of your membership, access accounts will be pro-rated and the unused portion will be refunded. Annual and semi-annual memberships canceled before they are used will revert back to monthly billing before being pro-rated. Dedicated circuit charges are non-refundable in less than 3 month increments. All web hosting, domain name services, and co-location charges are non-refundable.
8. Upon subscription to any service provided by Altaire Enterprises, Inc. you will have entered into a binding agreement with Altaire. Altaire may take all remedies available, including collection agencies, to collect fees owed to us for services subscribed and provided, regardless of your financial issues, your intended use (or lack of), or otherwise.